Strymon BigSky Reverb Guitar Effects Pedal
Clear Skies Ahead.
Plug into BigSky and instantly lift your sound into the stratosphere. The world below you fades into the distance, and you’re elevated into a glow of lush, glorious, radiant reverbs.
To create a reverb experience as natural, beautiful, and immersive as BigSky required tremendous feats of sound engineering and artistic imagination. Using the fundamentals of acoustical science as our beacon, we carefully studied and scientifically analyzed reverb technology from the past fifty years. We faithfully captured the essence of these classic sounds, and forged ahead to dream up our vision of reverbs from the future.
Go where no reverb has gone before.
Feel the mechanical tension of the Spring reverbs. Hear the floating particles of the Cloud machine. Defy the laws of physics with the Nonlinear reverbs. Unleash the multi-head reverberations of the Magneto machine. BigSky gives you twelve studio-class reverb machines, each with simple yet powerful controls.
Presets, Expression Pedal Control, Cab Filter, Assignable Knobs, and more.
Simple Yet Powerful Controls
We’ve gone to extraordinary lengths to craft BigSky to empower your creativity without getting in the way of it.
We’ve hand-picked the most essential reverb controls, and tailored their range and functionality so that sounds can be created effortlessly without extended tweaking.
300 Built-In Presets
BigSky gives you the option to instantly save and recall up to 300 of your own presets.
Easily bank up or down through your presets using the front panel switches.
Give each preset its own custom name to appear on the display.
You can even select presets via an external MIDI controller.
Expression Pedal Control
Plug in an expression pedal and control any knob or combination of knobs, including parameters assigned to Param knobs, all saveable per preset.
Or plug in an external momentary Tap switch for remote control of Pre-Delay (or Decay time with the Magneto and Nonlinear machines).
There are occasionally times as guitarists where we don’t use guitar amplifiers.
You might be using a full-range PA system, recording direct, or using headphones.
Because reverb pedals are usually placed last in your effects chain, we felt that BigSky could provide more utility for these situations.
Just turn on the selectable Cab Filter to engage our sophisticated speaker response curve.
Your dirt pedals will sound amp-like, and your clean guitar will have a present yet rounded response.
Do you like to tweak some knobs more than others? BigSky gives you the ability to assign custom parameters to the two Param knobs on the front panel, all saveable per preset.
Bring your most used menu parameters to the front panel, allowing a very quick way to tweak your sound on the fly.
Infinite Sustain / Freeze
Press-and-hold your active preset footswitch to activate either Infinite Sustain or Freeze, configurable per preset.
Infinite Sustain allows your reverbs to continue infinitely, with each new note you play adding to the reverb signal.
Freeze also delivers infinite sustain, but allows you to play new notes on top of the sustain without adding to the reverb.
Spillover / Reverb Persist
Engage Spillover to allow reverb decays to “spill over” from one preset to the next.
You can also turn on Reverb Persist to allow your reverb decay trails to continue even after you hit bypass.
Extensive MIDI Support
Have a more complex rig? BigSky offers a complete MIDI implementation to connect to your MIDI gear.
Remote control any knob, parameter, or switch. Select your presets via MIDI.
Organize and back up your presets to your Mac or PC using a MIDI to USB adapter and our Librarian software.
- Hand crafted, studio-class reverb algorithms deliver lush, gorgeous, and musically inspiring reverb experiences
- Twelve reverb machines to choose from: Room, Hall, Plate, Spring, Swell, Bloom, Cloud, Chorale, Shimmer, Magneto, Nonlinear, Reflections
- Seven front-panel tone shaping knobs: Decay, Pre-Delay, Mix, Tone, Mod, Param 1, Param 2 (Param knobs assignable per preset)
- Additional menu parameters allow for easy customization of reverb sounds
- 300 easily accessible and namable presets
- Press-and-hold Infinite Sustain and Freeze functions, saveable per preset
- Spillover and Reverb Persist modes, saveable per preset
- Selectable Speaker Cabinet emulation for direct-to-PA gigs or recording applications
- Three rugged metal footswitches for preset selection and effect bypass
- LED display for preset info, reverb decay time, and extended parameter control
- Multi-color preset LEDs (green for active preset, amber for edited preset)
- Full MIDI implementation allows extended control for those with more complex rigs
- Sturdy and lightweight light blue anodized aluminum chassis, with laser-etched artwork
- Durable black anodized aluminum knobs
- Studio-grade audio input and output jacks
- Stereo input and output
- Expression pedal input with selectable control over any knob or combination of knobs, saveable per preset (also configurable as external tap input)
- MIDI input and output
- Included 9V center-negative power supply (300mA minimum required)
- Analog dry path for a zero latency dry signal that is never converted to digital
- Premium analog front end and output section
- Ultra low noise, high performance 24-bit 96kHz A/D and D/A converters
- 115dB typical signal to noise at 50% wet mix (120db at 100% dry mix, 109dB at 100% wet mix)
- 20Hz to 20kHz frequency response
- +8dBu maximum input level easily handles instrument and line signals
- Super high performance DSP in a compact form factor
- 32-bit floating point processing
- 366MHz SIMD SHARC processor core, capable of 2.4 Gigaflops peak performance
- True Bypass (electromechanical relay switching)
- High quality, tranparent Analog Buffered Bypass mode
- +/- 3dB Boost/Cut, saveable per preset
- Optional Kill Dry mode mutes dry signal, for use in parallel effects loops
- Dimensions: 6.75″ (171mm) wide, 5.1″ (130mm) deep
- Designed and Built in the USA
“Project BigSky” started as a journey of diligent research.
We studied, reviewed and examined physical reverb units, algorithm architectures, academic papers and programming techniques from the past five decades.
Within BigSky, we utilized traditional reverb elements such as feedback-delay networks, allpass-delay-filter loops, Schroeder reverb sections, multi-tapped delay-lines, as well as all-new reverb elements that we developed along the way.
The goal was to find the best starting point for each reverb sound, and then elevate it into the 21st century.
Our intensive study of reverb history and acoustic science was combined with many critical listening sessions in a variety of environments.
We tweaked in front of amps, with synths, and in recording studios.
We listened with fanatical attention to the early part of the reverb.
We tweaked some more. We listened with fanatical attention to the late part of the reverb. We tweaked some more.
We listened with fanatical attention to the middle part of the reverb.
We tweaked some more.
Then we did it all again. There were no deadlines—just an obsession to make it as good as we could possibly imagine.
Transparency. That is the foundation behind the analog circuitry in BigSky. Only the reverb algorithms color your sound and your analog signal remains untouched.
Our True Bypass circuit accomplishes this with a mechanical relay to switch the input signal directly to the output, with absolutely no components connected.
Our Analog Buffered Bypass circuit features a 1Meg input impedance, keeping the character of your guitar pickup unaltered. The output impedance is 100 Ohms and can drive hundreds of feet of cable without coloring the sound.
Our noise specs are so low they’re about the same as the thermal noise of a guitar pickup.