Strymon Sunset Dual Overdrive Pedal
Classic overdrive sound, x2.
Two pedals at once.
Holy Grail tone, minus the quest.
We are all familiar with the endless search for the ultimate overdrive pedal and the perfect tone. We did the critical listening and custom voicing to design each side of Sunset with just one tone knob, so you can quickly dial in the sound you want. The knob ranges for each circuit type are custom calibrated to provide maximal usable control. We applied the same design philosophy and care to the stacking options, ensuring each combination interacts optimally and sounds great, so a huge range of classic overdrive tones are instantly achievable.
Six classic circuits.
Channel A overdrive circuits
The Ge overdrive combines the softer response of germanium diodes with a parallel path that blends in the dry signal as the Drive is lowered. At higher gains the lower-mid range frequencies are emphasized to create a tight, thick response. This overdrive really fattens up single coil pickups, and responds with a bold push when paired with humbuckers.
The Texas overdrive employs a single stage soft-clipper configuration that is filtered before and after the gain stage to create a smooth and dynamic overdrive. The original signal dynamics are retained as the gain is increased – perfect for playing the blues or just fattening up your sound with a signature mid range bump.
Channel A boost circuit
The Treble type is a treble booster that removes the low frequencies as the Tone knob is turned up – great for tightening up an overdriven amp, or driving another gain pedal that’s a bit looser on the low end. Turning the Tone knob down brings in the low end, making for a versatile all-around boost.
Channel B overdrive circuits
The 2stage overdrive combines a soft-clipping stage followed by a hard-clipping stage, creating a complex overdrive with a wide range of gain. Its EQ structure preserves the low end while adding some muscle to push your amp. This overdrive can easily take you from lightly clipped to beefy saturation.
The Hard overdrive uses a single-stage hard-clipping circuit that has a ton of available gain, approaching fuzz territory with the Drive knob maxed. At lower gains, mildly clipped transparent tones are achieved with this versatile drive. The wide-ranging Tone knob lets you shape the top end from smooth to buzzy.
Channel B boost circuit
The JFET type is a clean boost that subtly beefs up your signal with the dynamics and responsiveness created from the JFET front end. As you turn up the drive, the signal gets rounded and warmer. This is a great option when your amp just “needs a little extra.”
Digital or analog? We chose both.
Sunset’s input features an ultra low noise, discrete, class-A JFET circuit providing up to 20dB of pure analog gain. With our hybrid approach you get the best of both analog and digital worlds: The JFET stage provides exceptional touch sensitivity and dynamic interaction with your guitar, while the incredibly powerful SHARC DSP facilitates the great level of detailed complexity and responsiveness you’ll want to hear.
Configure your drive stack.
Sunset’s three-position Config switch gives you powerful control over signal flow when you stack two drive circuits.
You can run whichever two drive circuits you choose in series, reverse series, or parallel, all with the flip of a switch and no recabling.
Coming up with great sounding drive and signal flow combinations is fast and easy.
Custom voiced for any amp.
Sunset’s three-position Bright switch is custom voiced to perfectly tailor the highest frequencies of your output signal.
Minus (-) smooths the top end to work well with amps or speakers that have a brighter voice.
Neutral (center) provides a balanced top end that works with a variety of amps and speakers.
Plus (+) delivers extended high end detail to the warmest amps.
Tame the noise.
Sunset has an optional, variable-threshold noise reduction feature to tame hum, buzz, and system noise when you’re not playing.
A downward expander with advanced signal detection techniques creates a seamless transition to noise reduced silence with all types of input signal dynamics, including staccato bursts and slowly decaying sustained notes.
Everyone has a favorite.
Sunset allows you to save and recall your favorite settings.
Just connect an optional MiniSwitch or other external latching footswitch with a TRS cable to store and recall your Favorite setting.
Morphing expression control.
Connect an expression pedal, and enjoy a whole new level of instantaneous, continuous control.
Set as many knobs as you like for the heel position and toe position of your expression pedal, and all settings will simultaneously morph throughout the full range of the expression pedal.
Sunset becomes part of your musical instrument, an extension of your musical voice, an active part of your performance.
Turn up the volume.
The Expression pedal jack can be set up in Volume Mode, which provides a logarithmic taper for smooth volume control, even when Sunset is in bypass mode.
If you have an expression pedal, this provides an excellent alternative to a standalone Volume pedal.
Lurking inside your Sunset pedal is a hidden superpower: MIDI Control.
Save and load drive presets. Control all knobs and switches via MIDI.
Integrate Sunset into an elaborate MIDI pedalboard or use in an ultra-compact setup for easy travel.
Connect our MIDI EXP Cable to the Expression pedal jack to access these features.
- Six drive circuit topologies with custom tuned voicing for each drive type
- Precision crafted drive circuits stackable in multiple combinations for a wide variety of complex, responsive tones.
- Analog class A JFET input gain stage maximizes headroom while adding up to 20dB of pure analog gain
- Drive and Tone control ranges optimized for each circuit topology
- Series, reverse series, and parallel drive circuit stacking via Config switch
- Bright switch to tailor the sound for use with all amplifiers from dark to bright
Optional variable-threshold noise reduction for taming noisy guitar pickups
- High impedance mono input
- Mono output
- Favorite Input to connect an external MiniSwitch to recall a Favorite preset
- Expression pedal input allows the connection an expression pedal for simultaneous morphing control over multiple parameters (Expression mode), or logarithmic taper for smooth volume control (Volume mode)
- MIDI accessible via Expression jack for remote parameter control and access to 300 preset locations
- Ultra low noise, high performance 24-bit 96kHz A/D and D/A converters provide uncompromising audio quality
- Premium analog front end and output section
- Super high performance SHARC DSP in a compact form factor
- 32-bit floating point processing
- True Bypass (electromechanical relay switching) or selectable transparent Analog Buffered Bypass
- Strong and lightweight anodized red aluminum chassis
- 9V DC power supply included
- Power requirements: maximum 9 volts DC center-negative, with a minimum of 250mA of current
- 4.5″ deep x 4″ wide x 1.75″ tall
- 11.4 cm deep x 10.2 cm wide x 4.4 cm tall
- Designed and built in the USA